As Thanksgiving weekend wound down, I started thinking about how A.W.E.S.O.M.E 2011 had been, and how I might answer the annual quiz. I logged in to start jotting down some impressions and lo and behold, I found a partially finished quiz from 2010 – oopsy.
So, while I’ve missed the official start of the new year, here are some answers for both 2010 and 2011.
Try it out for yourself! I’d love to read what you have to say.
1. What did you do in 2010/2011 that you’d never done before?
2010: Wreck a car, watch a friend perform on Broadway, pass out in a public restroom, Skype at 7 AM with a wise man from Jordan, eat vegan stroganoff, attend a brit bat, walk on the stunning beaches of La Push, walk in the snow in Zig Zag…
2011: Ride ATVs in the Nevada desert, walk in the rain in the Arizona desert, have my mind blown and my heart filled by a flash mob, sleep in a castle, float in a balloon, hike in Asia, visit Harlem.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
2010: I don’t usually make resolutions in January, but this year I’m resolving to try new things.
2011: Yes! I did LOTS of new things in 2011 – mainly around travel. We’ll see about 2012.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
2010: Oh, yes! In order (I think): Lesley, Noreen, Beth, Jen, Tammy, Julie N, Jenny and Jill. Five boys and four girls, beautiful and healthy all.
2011: Yep! Meredith, Sofia and Julie T – all beautiful boys.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
2010/11: No, and I’m grateful.
5. What countries did you visit?
2010: I’m shaking my head in disbelief as I write this, but I stayed in the US all the live-long year.
2011: Does Las Vegas count? Oh yeah, and Switzerland, France and Turkey (and an airport in England).
6. What would you like to have in 2011/12 that you lacked in 2010/11?
2010: More inspiration for this blog. [Editor’s note: clearly I sucked at this].
2011: Maybe it’s not inspiration, but discipline that I’m lacking.
7. What dates from 2010/11 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
2011: July 23rd – my 40th birthday party. The majority of my favorite people (85+) in the same place at the same time. It was the most enjoyable and humbling night of my life. And the food was incredible. Also September 2nd – 18th: the France and Turkey trip. A life highlight.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Perpetually: Keeping my mouth shut.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Perpetually: Not keeping my mouth shut.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
2010: Well, there was that embarassing incident in the bathroom…. One broken finger and one black eye. The finger is still wonky.
2011: And then came the parasite….
11. What was the best thing you bought?
2010: Lots of great books, lots of great meals, lots of great sex (kidding!).
2011: Tickets to Lady Gaga, tickets to France and Turkey, tickets to go on a balloon ride….
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
2011: My lovely friends and family. Special shout-outs to the flash mob conspirators: Jen and BJ, Jenny and Aaron, Jenny and Brian. Also Mark, who was the reason and the driver for the extravaganza du Francais. On a global note: the brave men and women of the Arab Spring.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
2010: The U.S. Senate.
2011: The ENTIRE U.S. Congress this year (with a few exceptions, my own reps among them).
14. Where did most of your money go?
2010: Having fun with friends, traveling, reading.
2011: Traveling and a stellar party.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
2010: It was rather a mellow year, but in a very good way!
2011: The Las Vegas trip with Lou and Ty (and Gaga), the 40th bash, the France and Turkey trip, the NYC jaunt.
16. What song will always remind you of 2010/11?
2010: “My Life Would Suck Without You” as performed by the Glee cast. Along with a lot of other great covers they did.
2011: “Firework” by Katy Perry – the anthem for the most spectacular flashmob.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
2010/11: Happier – it just seems to get better and better.
b) thinner or fatter?
2010: Alas, fatter.
2011: Thinner. A great side effect of the parasite.
c) richer or poorer?
2010: Richer, but only on paper!
2011: Poorer, but temporarily so.
[Editor’s note: the rest of these answers are for 2011. I was laaaaaazy last year!]
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Telling people how much I love them.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Being scornful and/or derisive.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Christmas Eve with fun new friends, watching them eat fondue (no cheese or chocolate on the parasite diet!). Christmas Day with the fam at my little sis’s new home on the family compound. Fabulous food and a lot of laughing.
21. Did you fall in love in 2011?
I think I fall in love with the kiddos in my life a little more all the time.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
It’s a tough call, but I gotta go with Modern Family. I heart Phil.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Not a hater.
24. What was the best book you read?
Fiction: Cutting for Stone. Nonfiction: Unbroken. Read them!
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Lady Gaga! (I know, I’m late to the party.)
26. What did you want and get?
An epic birthday party.
27. What did you want and not get?
That’s a secret.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
It was the year of the big 4-0, and I threw myself a ginormous birthday bash! Beautiful people from all over the country joined me for awesome BBQ, plentiful beer and wine, toasts, roasts, dancing and a FLASH MOB. And I’ve got the footage to prove it!
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Congress doing their jobs rather than grandstanding, kowtowing, and generally being a bunch of asses.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
Whatever Jen says, I do.
32. What kept you sane?
Fabulous friends (and my therapist).
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Still crushing on Barack & Michelle.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
The whole thing was a cluster. I must say, the Republican primaries are like the best bad theater I’ve ever seen. Pure entertainment.
35. Who did you miss?
I got to see all of my near and far friends this year, except for Paul and Juliana.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
There’s a gaggle of them: my castle mates in France! All delightful. Special shout-outs to the Jeffs, Melanie and Carlos.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
Keep calm and carry on. It might just get you to Paris.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
“Boom, boom, boom, even brighter than the moon, moon, moon….”